Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Armpit Collection XXXIV: Black, Saint, Sinner



Charles Mingus is relentless in what he does. His music contains a ferocity and intensity that is unmatched. Nowhere have I been more attracted to stoking chaos in the midst of intellectual forms. The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is his most accomplished work. And you can also enjoy him here.

1. Track A - Solo Dancer (6:20)
Stop! Look! And Listen, Sinner Jim Whitney!

2. Track B - Duet Solo Dancers (6:25)
Hearts' Beat and Shades in Physical Embraces

3. Track C - Group Dancers (7:00)
(Soul Fusion) Freewoman and Oh, This Freedom's Slave Cries

4. Mode D - Trio and Group Dancers (17:52)
Stop! Look! And Sing Songs of Revolutions!

Mode E - Single Solos and Group Dance
Saint and Sinner Join in Merriment on Battle Front

Mode F - Group and Solo Dance
Of Love, Pain, and Passioned Revolt, then Farewell, My Beloved, 'til It's Freedom Day

Taken from the extensive liner notes:

"Last and least is me. Mingus. I wrote the music for dancing and listening." - Charles Mingus

"To me this particular composition contains Mr. Mingus' personal and also a social message. He feels intensively. He tries to tell people he is in great pain and anguish because he loves. He cannot accept that he is alone, all by himself; he wants to love and be loved. His music is a call for acceptance, respect, love, understanding, fellowship, freedom - a plea to change the evil in man and to end hatred. The titles of this composition suggest the plight of the black man and a plea to the white man to be aware. " - Doctor Pollock (his psychologist)

3 comments:

lucy lawless said...

i met jay in richmond for the second time and he greeted me on his porch with a ukelele and had let his hair down. he then slipped me a copy of "beneath the underdog" which is Mingus's ah um..."autobiography". i doubt theres a better one out there.

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

Sounds like good times, wish I was there. I can hardly believe that I haven't been to Richmond since I left. Maybe we should all plan a reunion there or something?

Listened to some Mingus lately - crazy stuff. I can see why you like it.

JlikeBoB said...

Yea? How'd the rest of the Jazz centered mix turn out?