Friday, November 5, 2010

He Said, He Said

On a recent morning, the journalist Bill Wyman received a UPS package containing a typed manuscript. On reading it, he saw that it seemed to be the thoughts, at some length, of singer Mick Jagger on the recently published autobiography of his longtime songwriting partner in the Rolling Stones, Keith Richards. A handwritten note on an old piece of Munro Sounds stationery read: "Bill: For the vault. M."

Hmmm, given that this is 2010 I'm somewhat skeptical that these are the the actual words and thoughts of Mick's reaction to Keef's new autobiography "Life." Nonetheless I found it an interesting read...

Mick Jagger Responds to Keith Richards About His New Autobiography

...I take the point that professionalism, one's word, rock 'n' roll merriment … these are fungible things in our world. It is a fair charge that I have become less tolerant in these matters over the decades. In our organization, inside this rather unusual floating circus we call home, I am forced into the role of martinet, the one who gets blamed for silly arbitrary rules. (Like, for a show in front of 60,000 people for which we are being paid some $6 or $7 million for a few hours' work, I like to suggest to everyone that we start on time, and that we each have in place a personal plan, in whatever way suits us best, to stay conscious for the duration of the show.)...

2 comments:

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

After posting this, I read through some of the comments. The author, Bill Wyman, writes:

Thanks again for all the great comments. I intended the piece to be just a book review, but also a piece of press criticism--it was odd to me how many of the reviews took everything Richards said at face value, and repeated, merrily, stories that were actually a bit grim.

I tried to finesse it, but "grade school" *is* a great catch.

This is nuts:

"Jagger Response To Richards Leaked Online"

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/entertainment/110510-jagger-response-to-richards-leaked-online

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

Like I said, this is 2010...