Thursday, April 14, 2011

3 Things to Love About China!

China has been in the news, well, a lot in the past decade, but I'm going to break down some highlights I found particularly amusing from the last week or so:

1. Blowin' In the Idiot Wind - Bob Dylan went to China, and what do you know, he did it for the money! He also let the Chinese government approve his setlist. The fact that he didn't say, "Lay, you Commie bastards, lay, lay across whatever song I feel like singing because I'm as American as Coca Cola and no one tells me what to do," really pissed off NYT's MoDo. Honestly I was surprised she expected more from him. Has she ever seen Richard Gere in "Red Corner"? Speaking out can get you kilt! Ten times worse than Maggie's Farm, I can assure you. In China you sing what the government tells you to, get your buttload of money (which we've been giving them in the first place), or stay home in the U.S. remembering that time you didn't go to China.

2. Taking Care of Yourself is a Full Time Job - The U.S. government talked smack on China regarding their "negative trends" towards human rights aka stepping their restriction up on lawyers, activists, bloggers, journalists, and pretty much anyone speaking Chinese. Then China released a report a few days later stating the U.S. was a poor, racist, and violent country that didn't have much business pointing it's finger at anyone else. TRUE! But, um, what's your point, China? We're Americans! You know we get crazy!

3. Time Travel is Not an Option - "TV dramas shouldn't have characters that travel back in time and rewrite history. They say this goes against Chinese heritage," unlike the West where Time Travel is a deep, rich part of our heritage. I remember traveling in time as a little boy, and I'm sure I'd be a completely different person (aka Chinese) without those experiences.

1 comment:

JlikeBoB said...

Rebuttal-ed! Dylan says no sir, I am unaware of any censorship. I submitted sets from the past 3 months and played every song we intended to play.