Sunday, April 5, 2009

Kurt Cobain RIP - 15 Years Later

Fifteen years ago today, Kurt Cobain, took his life. Hard to think that it's been fifteen years.

I remember watching Kurt Loder interrupt with an MTV news update. I couldn't comprehend at that exact moment what this would mean. For the next couple weeks, my buddy, Adam's older brother locked himself in his room, blasting Nirvana music. I remember thinking, "Man, Jonathan has been in his room a while, huh? Do you think he's been crying this entire time?" Mourning the fallen Grunge King was romantic. "I mean, Kurt's music spoke to me, maaaannnnnn!" sniffle, tear.

We all learned how to play guitar in the following years, courtesy of Kurt's "how-to rock with powerchords" formulas. Learning guitar was a tangible, takeaway, party bonus from being a fan. I can honestly say I have played every Nirvana album song on guitar. My favorite songs to play: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Drain You, Pennyroyal Tea, Heart-Shaped Box.

I doubt middle schoolers today are even able to understand what Kurt, the Anti-Hero, meant to us. Who do they have to look up to? Pete Wentz? Though Kurt was not a positive role model, in the traditional sense, but he taught me a lot. He seemed honest and transparent, though maintained mystery. He contributed to the development of my sense of art, style, weirdness, and integrity; I'm very grateful for that.

Who knows what he'd be doing if he were alive today. I'm pretty sure he would have gone solo, maybe did more acoustic stuff with R.E.M. Maybe he would have followed Neil Young's well worn path?

I still listen to his music today, and when thinking about how I felt fifteen years ago... I miss the comfort in being saaaaaaad.

4 comments:

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

http://www.nme.com/news/daily-gossip/43921

Unknown said...

Continue Reading horse dildo,horse dildo,horse dildo,silicone sex doll,dildos,male sex doll,wholesale sex doll,wholesale sex toys,wholesale sex doll Recommended Reading

Unknown said...

7a replica bags meaning fake gucci n8o29n5m93 replica bags ru page p0x31r1n82 replica designer bags wholesale replica ysl bags australia i9z60r0a01 replica bags sydney you can check here o7a46y2g03 replica bags and shoes

pita said...

n9q26p4j53 m3f48g1p23 g9m56f7y64 n8b75w2u42 q4s76w3h30 u6m35w5k65