Friday, September 18, 2009

And that Idealism Rears it's Head


That title is a reference to my comment about the 50 things the Internet murdered. If only we could "try" it. So the Flaming Lips I feel have never done anything but release good progressive, honest, relevant art for the past 10 or 15 or however many years. They have a new double discer coming out, which apparently will make many iterations. Of course the artwork, sound, delivery, every god damn part of the release looks and is cool, which is what makes them ideal.

It's being streamed in it's entirety on the Colbert Report's website, that's what the image is from.

I read something about the sound being between "Instant Karma" and a Miles later era band. Which now upon listening to most it, isn't necessarily true, but it's much more interesting than anything any of "the shits" are putting out.

[the shits refers to any band, act or publication that is any way associated or touted as indie, hipster, etc.]

6 comments:

Bradley Glisson said...

I'm very excited for the 5.1 DVD audio version myself. Their 5.1 versions of Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots are amazing.

JlikeBoB said...

I might try to snag that Super Deluxe Vinyl set.

Bradley Glisson said...

They make the coolest boxes. When they did the Christmas on Mars release they had actual popcorn that the Flaming Lips popped themselves that came with the package.

JlikeBoB said...

Did you see that? It was boring as hell but I had a great time watching it! The soundtrack is awesome, just doesn't go too well with a tummy full of chicken, ham, and various vegetables and pies.

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

With a belly full of Dom, Christmas from Mars made me yawn.
I found myself awake,
locked with Jay in a handshake.

JlikeBoB said...

...Christmas in the Heart lyrics?