Saturday, September 19, 2009

Blogerature: Bernard Mickey Wrangle



Tom Robbins has written a handful of books (and experienced a hell of a life). My ol' lady got one of his books as a present a few years ago and passed it to me. Since then, I've blazed through 4 or 5, each time with a revitalized feeling about American novels and the imagination. I've also slurped up quite a bit of tequila - drink of choice for the title referenced character from Still Life With Woodpecker. Robbins has a refreshing disregard for reality limitations. Many of the characters in his books are strong, hold some bizarre mystical powers or exaggerations, and lay claim to ideals. This makes for fun reads. I try to pick out books and follow my intrigue, but as all of us who dive around the book store know, sometimes you pick boring loser books. Thus I return to the authors I know. Robbin is one of the people who you just read everything he's written.

7 comments:

RYAN! said...

Still Life With a Woodpecker looks like it would be a smooth, relaxing read.

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

so if I only had one book of his to buy it should be Still Life With Woodpecker?

NathanaelMcDaniel said...

Still Life was a particularly great read to fall into "With His Hat On" with. hmm, i wonder how deliberate that set up was? definitely more "fun" than the bulk of my choosing.

wildly lighthearted like Vonnegut, but less tired, more pulpit . . . could (or should) be read aloud.

JlikeBoB said...

Villa Incognito is awesome as well, more of a formulaic story, but yea, I would say Still Life first...then just start at the beginning of his catalog.

mys said...

Yummm...

mys said...

Yummm...

mys said...

Yummm...