Friday, March 25, 2011

The Armpit Collection XXXVI: Heroes & Villains



Never had a single in the collection... The more I listen to this song, the more I'm fascinated by it. Musically speaking, it's quite simple and yet also contains some passages that are complex. Lyrically, I could say the same. The ideas it invokes become more and more relevant to my own perspective the more time I spend here in NYC, amongst artists, thinking about cultural politics.

The Beach Boys have already been considered a Period Piece. To many, they are seen as just such. Brian Wilson, though, pushed his music beyond simple trappings to the point of self-destruction. This song comes right out of that tumultuous period of both his life and culture at large.

The great thing about Heroes & Villains is it's ability to maintain a dichotomous aura. I found this video the other day and was just blown away by it. I submit it as evidence that the Beach Boys escaped shallow cultural perspectives and eventually sought to express ideas more intellectually than most may give them credit for.


3 comments:

NathanaelMcDaniel said...

must say i'm a dry fish to The Beachies — they remind me of a department store, something i at times find great fascination in, like when i went to one this winter and found no long underwear, it being the place i long thought long underwear to exclusively reside. this likely reaches back to the fact that my choice for a 1980s Period Piece (as linked) would have been difficult only in choosing between the complete discographies of either Minor Threat or The Misfits.

JlikeBoB said...

ha... as mine was equally difficult in choosing either Pop Country or ... Born in the USA?

I think your dept store comment is valid. The conclusion remains that they weren't able to break beyond those trappings, despite attempts. The perception of a dept store clerk... trying to progress... in the context of the time period.

I guess it should be noted that they didn't write the lyrics, and I think the lyrical ideas are what attract me most.

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

Charles Manson wrote all their lyrics.