Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Armpit Collection XV: Period Pieces

Songs for Swingin' Lovers
Pet Sounds
Born to Run
[New Traditionalist Country]
Definitely Maybe
Is This It?

These records might not be the greatest of each decade, but some I'm sure would make it into the arguments. They're common theme is that they each distinctly sound like the time period from which they came. Chronology is a big part of my understanding of music. It helps me to understand a music's purpose, where it's coming from, why, and ultimately it's measure against others.

By the mid fifties, Frank Sinatra was the man (the voice), but inevitably being grounded by a new type of music. This record is bizarre in the sense that it came out around the time Elvis was shakin', yet it's a swingified pop record, and a forerunner in the "concept album" foray.

It took me a while to appreciate Pet Sounds, but finally I did. "God Only Knows" is a devastatingly good pop song. I greatly appreciate Brian Wilson's rethinking of instrumentation in terms of production - something the Beatles did as well.

The Boss culminated rock n roll in 1975. For me, it marks the end of the old, a washing out of some sort. There's blues in Born to Run, but not THE blues. It's different. In musical terms, it's like major - pop - cinematic. There's so much music that came out in 1975, the spectrum was broad, but deeply linked. Born to Run stood in the middle of that, at the apex.

The eighties...honestly, I couldn't find any records I liked from this era, not one to take with me. As we all know, this decade used to be funny and then as we laughed about it in recent years everyone began to take this joke too serious. Lo behold we discovered there was actually good music (the Gen Xers finally got their say)...but it's calling cards aren't really my style. However, as I thought harder, I remembered the country music of my child hood, the traditional, yet finely produced country & western music from a new guard of brilliant songwriters and performers, like Dwight Yoakam and George Strait. I haven't picked a particular record from this era, thus marking a bit of a hole in the Armpit Collection, but stayed tuned for an update.

Brit pop...or was it rock...I'm not sure what it was, I was probably too interested in jerking off at that time. But I listened to the radio and a certain snarling, uber serious, fist pump stuck with me - their first record in all it's glory.

Ahh 2000's, it seems we've spanned the entire latter half of the 20th century in 8 years. One group of cool shitkickers blasted their way through a deep, heavy, thick web of bullshit rock n roll that completely dominated the airwaves in the late nineties/early 2000's. It's a completely American sound that would be heavily emulated for a few years until they were sadly pigeonholed and forgotten, another piece of fabric from the short American attention span - despite the dudes going on to make two more spectacular records - maybe more? Please.

13 comments:

Bradley Glisson said...

Kudos to you Sir on a great list, especially you're inclusion of what you refer to as "The New Traditionalists". Not only is it a great period with great singers and great songs, but it produced some of the best album titles to date. Dwight Yokam's "Buenas Noches From a Lonely Room", George Strait's "Beyond the Blue Neon, and Clint Black's "Killin' Time".

Also I stick to my beliefs that George Strait is the greatest artist in country music history. Controversial I know, but I believe his body of work stands for its self. He is truly the Sinatra of Country. Like Frank the man had an ear for great songs, an ability to make them his own, and he has one of the finest country swing bands assembled since Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys in the Ace In The Hole Band.

And if you're looking for that one documental album of that generation I believe you have to turn to Strait Out Of The Box.

lucy lawless said...

is that the duchess or atonement?

JlikeBoB said...

Carlo Rossi or Wild Irish Rose?

Bradley Glisson said...

Looks like Rossi Sangria in the picture...the fuel of many a night of FIFA.

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/385I1ATRSODTZ

Maybe this will help with the 80's.

lucy lawless said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lucy lawless said...

that list makes me chuckle and it is carlo rossi paisano

Bradley Glisson said...

I hate to call misleading, but this list is misleading....these may be the best selling albums FROM the 80's, but they are not the best selling albums OF the 80's. I point this out because Lionel Richie's classic "Can't Slow Down" was the second biggest selling album OF the 80's, but once you factor in people from the 90's and 2000's rediscovering 80's records such as "Back in Black" and "Appetite for Destruction" it skews which records were truly the most representative of the 80's. Also this list is in US sales and not worldwide (ie "Thriller" has sold 65million copies world widewide as opposed to this list stating only 29.3million).

All that said, and after examining this list, I think if you're looking for a solid choice for your 80's "period piece" I think you have to go "Thriller" or "Can't Slow Down". Both are great records and both are very representative of the sound, instrumentation, and technology of the generation.

JlikeBoB said...

That is a funny list...the problem is that I don't ever listen to any of those albums. I've heard them, but a lot of it is cheesy. The Dirty Dancing soundtrack has some great songs on it.

Bradley Glisson said...

Need I remind you of the classic McCartney/Jackson collaboration "The Girl is Mine" Sir?

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

Yeah, I was thinking "Thriller" would be the best 80's representative. No, I don't listen to it now, but as a youngen, I certainly did.

Bradley Glisson said...

As an owner of a vinyl copy of Thriller I'd highly recommend you find a copy and add it to your cannon. It's a fantastic record. Not as good as Off The Wall (his masterpiece) but still very very good. "P.Y.T.", "Billie Jean", "Human Nature", great record.

RYAN! said...

Before Christmas I downloaded a lot of country music for a CD mix I was making for Grandmom Hillary.

I have since added "Amarillo By Morning" by the great George Strait to my most-played list on the iPod.

As for the 80's, I think Paul Simon's Graceland is probably THE best album, ever.