Monday, January 12, 2009

Garth and Bruce Together At Last!


Just when you thought the inauguration couldn't get any bigger Mr Obama surprises us once again. Sunday afternoon the inauguration week is being kicked off at the Lincoln Memorial with a free concert that has a fantastic lineup that is being headlined by Bruce Srpingsteen and Garth Brooks! Also performing will be Stevie Wonder, Herbie Hancock, "The Coug" John Cougar Mellencamp, Usher, John Legend, James Taylor, Sheryl Crow, Shakira, Will.i.am, and Bono (because everyone knows you can't officialy save the world unless Bono's involved). Also there reading historical passages will be Jamie Fox, MLK III, Queen Latifah, and Denzel Washington. Hell there's even a gay reverend giving the invocation. HBO will be broadcasting the concert from 7-9 this Sunday night (right before the season premiere of Big Love), and it will be available to not only HBO subscribers but also anyone with basic cable or satellite.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/12/obama-inauguration-lincol_n_157215.html

12 comments:

RYAN! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RYAN! said...

This is great news for America. Do you think Garth will play THE DANCE or STANDING OUTSIDE THE FIRE or both?!

Bradley Glisson said...

Wow...that's a damn good question. I'm thinking he'll go all super American and play "We Shall Be Free"!

Little known fact but Garth wrote the tune while he was in LA during the Rodney King riots. The song would then go on to be banned from country radio for being "too contraversial" because it talked about racism, freedom of religion, and accepting gays.

When Me and Mr Seger saw Garth live in concert at the movie theater this tune got me all chocked up. In fact I get chocked up everytime I hear it.

RYAN! said...

I thought about WE SHALL BE FREE but thought it might be too heavy-handed. Why invite the Brooksinator if you're not looking for heavy-handed, though, right? I saw a CMT or GAS special on Garth -- I think CMT refused to air the music video at the time as well. It was very edgy, like the "24" of its day.

JlikeBoB said...

wow...this should be a weird one.

Bradley Glisson said...

A lot of people sleep on Garth, he's a very underrated artist which is hard to imagine seeing as he's sold more records than anyone other than Elvis and The Beatles. I've got him in my top tier of greatest country artists of all time. George Strait, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, and Garth Brooks.

Bradley Glisson said...

Weird? Nah, this is going to be great. Do you not realize the sheer awesomeness of The Coug, Stevie, Bono, The Boss, Jay Z, and The Garth all sharing the same stage.

JlikeBoB said...

No, I'm not realizing the sheer awesomeness of that. Maybe someday I'll "have missed something," but I'm sticking to my guns.

I do think it's great that such great performers can get on a stage together for the President, but it's like a chili recipe...and those would not be my ingredients.

Bradley Glisson said...

Obama had to go all out seeing as Bill Clinton had Bob Dylan and Aretha for his inauguration.

And I think this is a great chili recipe. Musicians for the young, musicians for the old, hip hop, soul, folk, country, rock n roll. Little bit of something for everybody. Which is how Obama is planning to run things, by being everybody's president.

Hell, last night Obama had dinner at George Will's house with Bill Kristol, David Brooks, and Charles Krauthaumer. He's truly reaching across the isle to everybody. So I think in that tradition this lineup fits perfectly.

JlikeBoB said...

I'm just thinking, "what do I IDEALLY want out of a Presidential Inauguration?"

It just seems funny that we've gotten to this point, there's something funny, like no-laugh-funny, about it. He's my President too.

JlikeBoB said...

Just wait for them all to say, "I told you so," as we balk at the opportunity of putting a black man in office using their system.

Bradley Glisson said...

I'm curious asto what you mean by "using their system"?