Wednesday, November 12, 2008

An American Tale

I read this article in Portfolio magazine. Dov Charney is the founder and CEO of American Apparel, well known for their kinky ads and "Made in America" clothing brand:

He continues, “Of course our clothing is intimate.” Then he switches briefly to his Québécois French. “Les intimes. It’s leisure. It’s intimacy. It’s a cold night, and you cuddle up with a blanket in your panties. You ever put on a pair of pants that made you look good, Claire?” he asks.

“Yes,” I tell him. “The pair I’m wearing right now.”

“See!” he shouts victoriously. “That’s what a beautiful, intelligent woman wants, to go to dinner in a pair of pants that makes her look good. She’s on top of the fucking world. That’s what it’s all about. The pants! The pants! That’s all a beautiful woman wants! A pair of pants that takes her into a restaurant. She looks beautiful. She looks intelligent! She’s got a pair of pants! She’s on top of the world—and it’s the pants, the pants!”

2 comments:

JlikeBoB said...

I went in that shitbox the other day to buy a zip-up hooded sweatshirt. AA is one of the few accessible clothing lines that has nice, comfy cotten..."the touch, the feel of cotten"...sorry, but anyway, I left AA disgusted because the simple gray sweatshirt I wanted was $50. I don't support fair American labor.

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

Shitbox? I thought as Brooklyn residents we were required to think AA is cool?