Sunday, February 7, 2010

And next years half time show will be...?

So I just watched The Who's halftime show and after a string of good acts (The Boss, Prince, McCartney, The Stones, etc) I for the first time in many years feel quite let down. So I'm sitting here trying to hypothesize about who could they have do it next year. Now, as much as I'd love for them to go young, well that's not going to happen (unless they pranced out Taylor Swift or someone like that that was deemed 'acceptable' enough for suburban America). So, just wondering if anyone had any ideas or suggestions for an act next year.

Now next year's Super Bowl is going to be in Texas...so I'm thinking country music would be a likely choice, and as much as I'd like to suggest King George why I think he'd be deemed as not crossover enough. So the only name that keeps coming to my mind is Garth Brooks. Now I'm admittedly quite biased as I love some Garth, but logistically and realistically he's the only name that I can come up with. So if you all have any suggestions I'd love to hear...

7 comments:

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

Michael Jackson

Bradley Glisson said...

Maybe holographic Michael Jackson like they did with Elvis on American Idol that time...if I can dream.

Justin Baker said...

Bob Wills is still the King; or so I've heard.

Bradley Glisson said...

Back to the initial point and question of this post...I really think Garth is the way to go as I can't think of a single other person that'd work. Unless hell freezes over again and they send out the Eagles. Although I could go for the Couge' now that I think of it...but I'd still say Garth is the way to go.

RYAN! said...

Yeah, I am behind your Garth theory 100%. He's the bestselling singles artist of the 20th century and just came out of retirement. They'll probably have to youthenize him with a Swift or Underwood, but it'll be a great show.

I can imagine a day in the not-so-distant-future when America could embrace a Roc-a-fella Records halftime with Jay-Z, Beyonce and the kids. Hip-hop took one step forward with "Empire State of Mind" at the World Series, and two steps back with the Grammy bleeping episode so probably not next year.

JlikeBoB said...

Are you judging those recent Super Bowl performances on your scale or a general public scale, cause they've all been pretty lame. What would Miles Davis do? He'd've suckled on that Janet Jackson breast with his trumpet bell.

Bradley Glisson said...

I thought it's been pretty good for the last few years. The Boss was solid, Paul was Paul (which is always good), and who can forget Prince blasting out that Foo Fighters cover on his giant penis shaped guitar in the pouring rain.

Now in fantasy land I'd love to see like Kings of Leon (mainstream america's fave new indie darlings) blaring "Sex on Fire" and "Use Somebody" for all America to hear. Or better yet Wayne Coyne in a giant beachball running on top of those little kids that always surround the stage, then climbing out of the ball as they go into the biggest version of "Race for the Prize" ever as confetti falls from the ethos.

But that's fantasy land so instead we have to go for slightly older cross over superstar or collection of younger artists each singing a minute and a half of their songs before ending with some cheezy duet. So that's why I say bring on the Garth!!!