Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Chuckspective

I've made references to Chuck Klosterman's work on the blog before.

Here's a couple of great journalistic pieces from him. One is an interview with Noel Gallagher that offers some interesting insight into various things. The other is a great review of "Lulu."

A couple of gems -

"In the 20 years I've interviewed celebrities, I think Gallagher might be the first one to ever directly say that the process of succeeding is more problematic than the conditions that follow that success. Celebrities have been conditioned to insist that they want their work to be consumed and appreciated, but that they always dread the subsequent lack of anonymity and the vapidity of public recognition; in many ways, Gallagher's response seems like the first honest explanation as to why talented people so often seem depressed and uncomfortable."


"Two historically significant artists merging unrelated genres for no defined reason. Adult, self-aware musicians following their own creative vision, devoid of commercial pressure or responsibility. An attempt to produce something authentically different from anything we've ever heard before, motivated only by a desire to see what would happen. A confident, unvarnished attempt at taking arcane high art and repackaging it for denim-clad teenagers huffing gas in Arizona parking lots."

1 comment:

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

Yeah, I dig his stuff too. I actually gave Nat one of his books my last visit to Asheville, and I'm currently reading Downtown Owl. So far I'm really digging it.