Monday, September 29, 2008

An American's Dream


"One day I'm gon' grow up to be somebody..." thought the young boy.

These were the words of young boy with a dream. Despite being raised in the slums of Harlem, NY, little Duane knew that one day he wanted to help people. Even if it wasn't his ailing grandmother or delusional, overbearing father, it would be someone.

"That boy ain't neve' gon' 'mount ta nothin'" his uncle would say. And everyone laughed, except Duane.

"One day I'm gon' help people. If they'z sick, I'll help 'em, give 'em the medicine they'z need" little Duane would cry amongst the chuckles of his relatives.

"Boy can't even read, thinks he's gon' help people," and the laughing.

Well, little Duane grew up fast, studied his way to Medical school, taking a keen interest in pharmaceuticals and eventually providing an empire where everyone could get the things they need. He took his name, the name of his relatives and made it something - Duane Reade.

1 comment:

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

I was just there last night buying a plunger for me girl. Ryan doubted Duane Reade would have it, but alas, I've learned to never underestimate DR's power.