Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Armpit Collection IV



Champion Jack Dupree - Blues from the Gutter

This is one of the first real blues records I heard. It somewhat jolted my intrigue towards the blues and I've found many great records by other bluesman since, but this record has always remained an ideal. What a title. What a piano player. What a singer. And what a band (the guitar playing is simple and monumental). "Slow down man, don't walk so fast." Produced by the recently deceased Jerry Wexler, I believe it's the Champion's first full album, despite being on many 78's before this. You gotta dial in on some of the lyrics, "lord when I get loaded, I just want my milk and cake." Or, "I hung around my friends and smoke reefer." Or, "climb up on the table honey, let the doctor see what else you got." I have since found a record that's a collection of Dupree recordings - just the man at the piano, and I ultimately prefer this setting, but as an album and an experience, Blues from the Gutter is as the title suggests, and what better place to look?

1 comment:

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

I can't wait to read the Armpit Collection for Metallica, "And Justice for All."

This is a great album though, good pick.