Monday, September 15, 2008

The Armpit Collection V



The Beatles - Abbey Road

One side of singles, One side of suites. Is this the best Beatles record? Is it more mature and natural than Revolver? More accessible than Sgt. Pepper? A better version of Let it Be? A Rubber Soul for wiser man? Does Magical Mystery Tour even count? Shall we go on? So this is the one Beatles record I'm taking with me. They hunkered down, went back to George Martin and did the fucking right thing. George is obviously well represented with one of the greatest pop singles of all time (Something) and one of the greatest pop non-singles of all time (Here Comes the Sun). John could've done Oh Darlin real justice, but Paul is at the top of his game there, not too mention the bass playing on this record is completely untouchable in rock/pop music. Paul's got some other nice ones on the second side. My favorite track is I Want You (She's so Heavy), classic John. Musically it's a satisfying meal with the time changes, harmonies, simple blues chords and lush sound. There's a couple of dodgy spots that make me reconsider if I've got enough room to maybe just grab the two Singles collections, but then I remember how amazing Because is...because it's round, because it's high, because it's blue, because it's their best record.

4 comments:

Kevlarg said...

This is one of my favorite albums of all time. So many gems here. She's so heavy, Because, You never give me your money, Here comes the sun, Golden slumbers, and of course "The End" which produced a lyric I like very much:

"And in the end, the love you get is equal to the love you give"

Kevlarg said...

Alternate line:

"And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make"

JlikeBoB said...

haha...remember that time...

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

When I think of this album I think of the Richmond days listening to this album in Lucas's car. I think we must've listened to it 8 times to and from our trip to Ocean City.