Tuesday, March 24, 2009

$10.25/pack

That's how much I paid today for a pack of Parliment Lights. I mostly buy cigarettes in a little convenience store in the building where I work. It's run by Indians or Pakistanis (I honestly have no idea), but depending on who is working that day depends on how much you pay for cigarettes. The young guy sold them for $9, the old guy sold them for $9.25, and I was used to a give-or-take quarter difference in price... until today. Now it's posted on a sign behind the register $10.25 for some goddam P-funks. I told the clerk, "that fucking sucks," like the intelligent, cost concious human being I am. He didn't seem to care.

What could all that added tax be contributing to? Is it going to help the homeless, because I still know a lot of bums asking me for, you guessed it, a cigarette. I only wish some of that tax was going to the TARP money given to banks! At those prices, all banks would be solvent in no time. I bet MANswers would know where the tax money goes...

Remember when I quit smoking? Only last year I was paying $7.75/pack. Those days are currently just a memory. My addiction has strengthened, and so has my cough.

How much does a pack of Parliments cost in your neck of the woods?

4 comments:

JlikeBoB said...

Unfortunately, cigarette smoke doesn't even make it into my neck anymore. I recall dishing out a little over $30 for a carton of Camel Wides. So that's like 3 packs of Parliaments in NYC...wow.

Bradley Glisson said...

The 65cent jump in price is due to the increase in SCHIP, so you're money is going to provide healthcare for kids.

But still, 10 bucks for a pack of smokes is wild. Down here in tobacco country an average pack of cigs is only 4bucks.

RYAN! said...

$9.50 at Brazil Grocery, $8.45 w/ a coupon at Rite Aid.

Blogger said...

Are you paying more than $5 / pack of cigs? I'm buying my cigs over at Duty Free Depot and I'm saving over 50% on cigs.