Monday, March 8, 2010

The Armpit Collection XXIX: It Was A Wonderful Life



Sparklehorse - It's A Wonderful Life

Spurred by Mark Linkous' suicide, please check out It's A Wonderful Life. I only very recently started listening to this record, despite multiple attempts by my old lady to turn me on. I didn't connect with it at first. I've now come to find it to be a gorgeous record, deeply melancholic, but also melodic and very, very rich. I rather enjoy it's listening experience from headphones; sonically speaking, it's very intelligent.

Also see Dark Night of the Soul.

5 comments:

Bradley Glisson said...

I'm always intrigued by records from suicidal artists. It's sort of an insight into what the music sounds like in the room before the lights go out. (ie Joy Division's "Closer" and Jeff Buckley's "Grace")

But on the same token, I'm still more a proponent for suffering through the pain than hitting the killswitch.

JlikeBoB said...

Yea, I didn't really want to mention the suicide factor since I like this record aside from his committing suicide and I the Armpit Collection isn't the greatest forum for discussing morals. Then again, I figured I'd share a part of the reason "why" this record had been on my mind.

You should check it out.

JlikeBoB said...

Peep this ma'am ugh jamma:

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=zUvuXXbMwq8&feature=related

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

I'm giving it a download.

JlikeBoB said...

You better!