Thursday, April 22, 2010

Blog Mine

Last Night I saw Jakob at Town Hall, Jakob Dylan and the Three Legs as they're billed, featuring Neko Case and Kelly Hogan. Town Hall is a great place to see a show; small, theater seating, drinks in the back during intermissions and pretty decent sound I think if you get a seat on the floor. We were in the balcony and the sound was still pretty solid, but a wee bit boomy, mid-rangey, swampy if you will. The band's sound was a bit dirge-ish, minimal but thick, and his vocal range is lower and it all kinda washed out into a feeling that reminded more of the "lenny" and four drinks I'd had beforehand, rather than the chords and verses being played. The place was half empty.

The band was top notch, quite delicate as I mentioned, not much of an edge or an enthusiasm, but very respective of the sound. Jakob himself mainly played a no-toned, hollow body electric, which further led to the swampiness of it all. A few songs in, he introduced the fiddle player, special guest David Mansfield, who you may recognize from the Rolling Thunder Revue band. Jakob alluded to this fact, "I toured with this guy back in '75." There were a couple numbers that I enjoyed, even the Wallflowers hit "Three Marlenas" was pulled out. Mainly the set was from Seeing Things and Woman & Country.

Anyway, the night led to many father / son jokes that I won't repeat cause they're stupid. This morning I found this though, a recording I've heard existed, but have never heard myself. The song is featured on Biograph, a different more Desire-ish version, but in my mind the song is more of an idealization of Blood on the Tracks, which comes across in this live take. Enjoy.



Goddamnit that is good.

3 comments:

NathanaelMcDaniel said...

truly transcedent — and then right within its power, not. i'd imagine that song constituted a lot of what BOTT uncovered, which might have confirmed its own abandonment . . . the lone 'masterpiece.'

typically hard truths (the truly hard ones) are best let go.

i heard that performance was recorded during a jack elliot set, dylan being drawn from the audience.

JlikeBoB said...

Yep, makes sense. Great to hear him "let it into the wild."

Yea, I think he got up and played with Ramblin'... then promptly took over.

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

niiice