Monday, April 14, 2008

The marathon is easy. There are no lions.


I am liberally copying / pasting / plagiarizing /rearranging all of this post from this original article in the UK's Guardian newspaper.

This is the true story of Six Maasai warriors picked to run the London Marathon to raise money for a well in their village. Isaya, 24, is their chief. They'll work together and have their lives taped to find out what happens when people stop being polite and start getting real.

Isaya's diary:

Friday April 4

The plane was so big and frightening, and I closed my eyes. My family didn't want me to come to England because they never saw a plane before.

Our elders told us we can do the marathon because we have been running all over, killing a lion and herding cattle. I sometimes run for two or three days with my cattle, and I have to protect them from lions.

Saturday April 5
I miss meat and blood very much. Not vegetables because they are food for a woman. There is milk here but blood is better because it gives energy. English tea with sugar is good and we tried Coco Pops, but the nicest food is croissants.

We heard about showers before, in a briefing about the country. It said be careful - when the shower is hot it is really hot, and when cold, really cold. This is true.

Tuesday April 8
The Houses of Parliament are the best buildings in London. They use very strong materials. We hoped to see the Queen in London very much, but she is never there.


Thursday April 10
We rode a real horse for the first time too. It is amazing that people can talk to them, tell them where to go and they do it.

Saturday April 12
I am excited to get the marathon done and get clean water to save lives. We have a dam that we share with wild animals so every morning the children go to get water, it's dangerous for them. Some have lost their lives. Next week we will drill and get clean water for the top life. Then I would like to study community development in America so I can be a great chief to my people.



It's like a real life Jungle 2 Jungle, only no Tim Allen!

3 comments:

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

Cool post, very funny title. It would suck having to share the dammed water with the lions, but it seems like it would be an honest way to go.

Unknown said...

replica bags high quality replica bags india replica bags by joy

neahiez said...

more tips here hop over to these guys Read More Here great post to read i thought about this This Site