Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Armpit Collection XX: Three Dubyas



Hank Williams III Lovesick Broke & Driftin'

I've been thinking about this record recently. I got this record from my brother around the time it came out - he had told me about Hank III. This is a country record, probably one of the best country records I've ever heard. The production is classically slick, but heavier than most country records, which probably has something to do with III's metallic tendencies. The drum/bass sound in "One Horse Town" is something more out of Tom Waits record, and thick rhythm guitar, real thick. There's a lot of tasteful violin and steel guitar lead playing throughout the entire set, pivotal for making a proper country record. The song writing teeters between haunting to cheesy, as any country record should. "7 Long Months, 39 Days...", "Cecil Brown," "Trashville," "Walkin' With Sorrow," the song titles are perfect.

The reason this record will stay with me forever is for the crowning achievement "Whisky, Weed and Women" aka the Three Dubyas - close to any cool man's heart. This is perfect country, fucking perfect. Deeply sad lyrics crooned over a steel drenched, acoustic heavy country blues - right out of granddad's playbook. I was purely in shock/bliss when I heard this song, there's no intro, nothing, just starts with his high whine..."As I watch the sun set slowly I hold back a tear." Wow...and yes, at times they do seem to have the upper hand.

Also, the end of this record has a fabulous cover of the Boss' "Atlantic City." I heard this version before the Boss' and am still loyal to it, though the Boss bangs it out in classic Boss style - a few chords and some Jersey swagger. III gives it much needed arrangement exploitation. It's awesome..."Honey last night I met this guy and I'm gonna do a favor for him."

And this clip is for the Radical

6 comments:

NathanaelMcDaniel said...

great call! 3Dubs made a surprise visit to the last tape you made, so i dropped the pen, paused the tape, and dusted off the axe . . . country music'll do that to ya.

JlikeBoB said...

Yes It Will!!!! God I love playing that song. I was in Balti this weekend hangin' with Baker and Three Dubya's was just about the only song we could make it through in our incoherent late night strumming.

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

Baker forget how to play the VU songs?

RYAN! said...

He's certainly got his granpappy's plaintive whine down better than his daddy ever did.

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

Great youtoob clip, btw. Thanks for that. I watched a bunch of clips of Danzig after that, even one of him getting knocked out.

JlikeBoB said...

Ha...we did bang out a few of the VU songs as well.