Monday, May 5, 2008

Cinco de Maio

Buenos Cabrons,

I wanted to remind everyone to be extra polite to your Juans and Miguels, for today is Cinco de Maio!
As a New Mexican I celebrated Cinco de Maio by playing hooky; I slept in late till noon, took a long hot shower, went to the park, dozed in and out. I also prepard some pasole (hominy) and I'd like to pass on the recipe.
Serve this to your senhorita and she'll be sweating bullets here there and everywhere...
and then she'll want to do the backwards cowgirl
all night.

Ingredients -
1 bag of pasole or hominy
6-8 red chile pods
1-2 ibs of pork or chicken or beef cut into cubes
3-5 cloves garlic
2 quarts water
1 teaspoon oregano

1. Some pasole or hominy comes like dried corn kernals, looks kinda like chicken scratch. If this is the case soak in water overnight. Otherwise you can buy the kind that's ready to go.
2. Cook Pasole in roughly 2 quarts of boiling salty water for an hour or so.
3. Add cut up meat, garlic, red chile pods (washed and deseeded), oregano and cook for another hour at a slow boil or simmer with the top on. Make sure you maintain the water level.
4. Its finished when the pasole is soft and tender and the meat cooked through.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with a dabble of sour cream and cilantro.


There are many different recipes for pasole, some take green chile, some take onion, etc. This one is just relatively easy.

happy cinco chicos!

2 comments:

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

Times like this I wish I took Spanish in high school, mais, Je parle le français.

Good to see ya, Adamo.

RYAN! said...

This is the best recipe for something I'll never eat that I've ever read.