Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Wrestler



So I saw this movie a few weeks back and I must say that it still sits with Me. It is truly the grittiest most realistic non glamorous movie I've maybe ever seen. And being someone who once danced in the same circles that this movie does I can vouch for the authenticity of this movie. For example the scene where Mickey makes a "gig" is so damn real; you see him pull out the pack of razor blades, cut the tip off of one of them, wrap it in tape, hide it inside the tape on his arm, and then pull it out in a match and run it across his forehead to get the blood flowing. So, without breaking out into a full on lovefest for this movie, I'd highly suggest checking it out.

6 comments:

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

I'm surprised you weren't in this movie, Brad. I saw it after Mickey won the Golden Globe with my gf. Must say it's one of the better movies I've seen in the past year, but it's pretty depressing. It takes you to this whole other world: Jersey, cold, blood, strip clubs, drugs, loneliness, broken homes, etc...

RYAN! said...

I had mixed feelings about this movie. I do not have mixed feelings about Y2J: he's a douche.

Bradley Glisson said...

Y2J's current character is one of the best I've seen in years. His feud with Shawn Michaels last year was an instant classic. And he's current ongoing rant against the legends of the sport is fantastic television.

I love that he's taken all the theatrics out of his character and become this bitter and almost emotionless guy. And it's not arrogance that he's portraying, it's something far more devious, almost as if he's looking down his nose at the rest of the wrestling word and laying judgement upon them. I think he's the best heel in the biz at the moment.

RYAN! said...

See, I find the lack of theatrics to be a complete turn-off. I think he's being too cerebral and trying to deconstruct what it is to be a professional wrestler and it just results in boring television. I think what frustrates me the most is that he has a whole other persona outside RAW with his appearances on Vh1 Best Metal Moment clip shows that the viewer is supposed to disregard entirely.

I'd rather see Randy "Voices in My Head" Orton's Intermittent Explosive Disorder-fueled headpunts any day.

lucy lawless said...

Even Savage was Savage in Slim Jim ads.

Bradley Glisson said...

It's so hard to be a truly hated heel these days..fans have really started to fall in love with the bad guys over the past 10 years or so. So I give Randy and Y2J credit for being as hated as they are. Me personally though, I always have had a love affair with the bad guys. Guess that's why I've always been a Flair fan since day one.

And good call on the Savage thing...man do I miss those commercials.