Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Gay Guys, Tornado Chasers, & Lester Bangs

I have been very fond of Philip Seymour Hoffman for quite some time. My first conscious recollection of him is the creepy guy from The Talented Mr. Ripley. He seemed to blow up after that. One reason I think I have a dude crush on him is that he is featured in most films by the consistently bad ass, Paul Thomas Anderson. One role I like in particular from those films was Hoffman as the gay guy from Boogie Nights. He also pulls off the gay guy from Capote (Capote), quite extraordinarily. Conversely, he can convincingly be the bad guy like a fraudulent mattress store owner in Punch Drunk Love and the villain from Mission Impossible 3. It is always a good feeling to know when going into a movie theater or rental store that you are spending your ever dwindling money on a film that will be good, or at least Phil will...feel will...feel wheel...

6 comments:

Bradley Glisson said...

Lucas, you have a way with headlines my friend. I always feel like I'm getting several stories for the price of one. And on the PSH subject, I just saw Charlie Wilson's War the other night, and man he is so spot on in that flick. He's one of the great underrated actors of our time.

RYAN! said...

Watched Doubt last night: very nice. Meryl Streep does the kickassier job in this one, though.

Not much happens, but people talk about it with such grace. And it's not too long (99 minutes) like a lot of these types of films can be. (I'm looking at you THERE WILL BE BLOOD).

JlikeBoB said...

Did anyone see that movie with PSH & Ethan Hawke, where they rob their parents jewelry store, it's a recent one. Great opening scene with PSH pounding Marisa Tomai from behind.

lucy lawless said...

I saw it. I think it is called Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. He is very cold and intimidating in it.

lucy lawless said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Justin Baker said...

Definitely called "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" and the movie is good, but not great in that it leaves you wanting and simplistically satisfied with the ending.