Monday, March 10, 2008

What WAS up, Doc?


anyone ever heard of doc ellis, the all-star pitcher for the pittsburgh pirates? he beaned reggie jackson in the face simply to avenge the slugger's home-run off him in a previous game. he also vowed to hit the entire cincinnati reds starting line-up in one game. after hitting the first three, the fourth managed to avoid contact. after another two pitches directed at the head of fifth batter johnny bench, ellis was pulled from the game, seemingly well determined to hold his promise. as if the antics couldn't peak (no pun intended) any further, in june 1970, doc threw a no-hitter . . . on acid. not originally planned to start, he got high and was consequently re-scheduled to pitch the night's game at last minute. he was unable to feel the ball or see the batter. apparently, the catcher wore reflective tape simply to suggest a relevant target. his response to the experience went as follows, "I can only remember bits and pieces of the game. I was psyched. I had a feeling of euphoria. I was zeroed in on the (catcher's) glove, but I didn't hit the glove too much. I remember hitting a couple of batters and the bases were loaded two or three times. The ball was small sometimes, the ball was large sometimes, sometimes I saw the catcher, sometimes I didn't. Sometimes I tried to stare the hitter down and throw while I was looking at him. I chewed my gum until it turned to powder. They say I had about three to four fielding chances. I remember diving out of the way of a ball I thought was a line drive. I jumped, but the ball wasn't hit hard and never reached me." - compliments to wikipedia / harvest records

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

From one of Doc's famous Rolling Stone pieces:

"We were somewhere around the seventh inning when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like "I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should pitch...." And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swinging and screeching and diving around the mound. And a voice was screaming 'FOR IT'S ONE TWO THREE STRIKES YOU'RE OUT AT THE OLD BALL GAME!'"

Bradley Glisson said...

I remember the 'acid no hitter' story. One of my favorite baseball tales of all time.

JlikeBoB said...

And I thought Harvest Records was only good for records...

Unfortunately, I never pitched a game high on acide, I did come out of relief once while friends at the game were high on mushrooms...that's not bad.

I heard getting high and golfing is fun.

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

A fan jumps out of the upper deck, slams hard into the middle of the outfield, neck breaking instantly. That can't be happening, no, it can't be. He's just laying there. Life draining out on the field. Why isn't anyone helping him?... OH YEAH, MUST HAVE BE THE ACID! In a second glance I notice the broken fan was no longer sprawled on the field. He was up in the air! He'd turned into an Angel named Copernicus with a nine foot wingspan! "The center of the earth is not the center of the universe, but only of gravity and of the lunar sphere," Copernicus explained. Yeah, I knew that.

"Breathing, sweating, exerting, feeling, seeing, hearing, heart beating, sun bleaching, balking, grass sniffing, dirt sliding, ball tossing, leather smacking, hat swearing, crowd roaring, PLAY THAT GAME, DAMMIT! GAME ON! YOU BETTER THROW THE BALL OR DIE!"

NO HITTER