Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Shadowplay



So apparently some jackass got the smart idea to go and steal the gravestone of Ian Curtis. According to the BBC, 'at some point between Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning, thieves removed the stone from its perch at the Macclesfield Cemetery in Curtis' hometown of Macclesfield, England. Authorities currently have no leads as to the whereabouts of the stone, which bears the inscriptions "Ian Curtis 18 - 5 - 80" and "Love Will Tear Us Apart".'

So I figured I'd use this sad occasion as an opportunity to post Joy Division's first television appearance. Not sure if anyone else on here is a fan, but if so enjoy.

2 comments:

lucy lawless said...

I'm a new fan...

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

I never listened to Joy Division before. Of course I've heard of them, but I had no real idea of what a single song sounded like.

From my impression of the video posted: Wow, this sound sounds like total garage rock. This is both good and bad. Bad because I expected more originality, something more musically impressive. I just didn't think the song was above par... BUT I thought it was good for the same reasons I said it was bad. It's rock music, just dudes with instruments, strumming away, pretty no frills, not too gimicky. Also it sounded mean, and those guitars looked fun to play... there's nothing wrong with that.