Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Armpit Collection XXIII: Dylan Addendum Part One



John Wesley Harding
Desire
Street Legal

Bob Dylan is a modern American musical enigma. His catalog is extensive and serves as the control in understanding most other pop and rock music's relativity. His first appearance in The Armpit Collection was a well-rounded trio outlining some of his contribution to modern popular music - the rock n roll, the singer songwriter, the old weird America.

Some of us have scoured his output extensively. There's a post rock n roll element to some of Dylan's music that I find intriguing. It's the long chord progressions that repeat, and repeat, and repeat for sometimes 5, 8, 10 minutes; lyrical ideas less detached and more romantic, yet utterly bizarre at times. The three albums featured here each contain songs I could not live without, "I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine," "Black Diamond Bay," or "Where Are You Tonight?", and songs I'll never forget, "As I Went Out One Morning," "Romance In Durango," and "Baby, Please Stop Cryin'".

No comments: