Thursday, August 6, 2009

Before I Kick the Bucket List: Hot Air Balloon Ride



"The balloon seems to stand still in the air while the earth flies past underneath." -Alberto Santos Dumont

(Inspired by JSeger)

There are many things that I as a mortal would like to experience before the end. I'm not talking about trying things like sushi, fucking a dude, or writing a blog. I am talking about picking up my mat and venturing out in the world.

A friend of mine recently proposed to his lover in a hot air balloon in Tennessee. That charming bastard! She said no but the romantic offerings of sky balloons are sexy and ripe nevertheless.

The separated feeling of floating around in a basket and the accompanying view all around must be thrilling and I hope the opportunity comes soon for me.

(One of the funniest and one of my favorite movie scenes is in The Life Aquatic when Bill Murray and Cate Blanchett's characters are sitting in a hot air balloon attached to their ship. At one point Bill lights his cigarette with the balloon burner.)

3 comments:

JlikeBoB said...

man, that is a beautiful sight...there is something magical about the balloon and mankind. Emily and I went to the Festival, which I'm guessing is where that photo was taken, this past fall. Awesome.

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

I can say I "somewhat" have been in a hot air balloon before. It was at my elementary school in Tennessee of all places. It was at the school fair, and there was a real estate company sponsoring Hot Air Ballon Rides! (but there was a catch) The hot air balloon was anchored to earth, so you'd elevate about seven stories high, and then come back down. Strings attached.

Almost seems sacrilegious, come to think of it.

lucy lawless said...

RE/MAX