Friday, August 14, 2009

Before I Kick the Bucket List: Watch Shaq Play



Ever since I was around 7, I have been an avid Shaquille O'Neal fan. I spent a lot of time in my back yard playing on an imaginary hoop and dreaming of becoming a dominant seven foot center in the NBA.

I didn't even make the freshman basketball team but my admiration for Shaq continued and I always joked that I modeled my game after him.

Part of my admiration, I think, has to do with sympathy. Although it is beneficial on the basketball court, his body size must be awkward as shit in real life. Also, I squirm every time I see him shoot a free throw. It's like watching an extremely focused drunk dude playing beer pong. There is something definitely palpable watching him on the line: All eyes are on him, he knows he's bad, he knows we know he's bad, we know he knows we know he's bad, etc. He has always struggled with it and it must humble him.

I have heard him say once that he tries not to take himself too seriously. I try.

2 comments:

JlikeBoB said...

Blue Chips!!!

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

I saw Shaq play way back in the day when Orlando Magic played the Washington Bullets.