Friday, June 20, 2008

Girl Talk


So I've just come across this incredible little piece of pop culture smashed together. It's Girl Talk's "Feed The Animals". It's all these great pieces of pop culture smashed together. Whether it be from R&B, brit pop, indie, pop, new wave, whatever, if it fits then it's in. And not sampled in the usual mash up way, it's like taking the parts from 6 songs to make a verse of a song. For example, in one song it's gone from 'Paranoid Android' with Jay Z rapping over it, to the keyboard part of 'These Eyes' by The Guess Who which leads to Grandmaster Flash, topped off by 'Come On Eileen' and some Doug E Fresh. There's over 300 samples on this thing, and half the fun is just picking out the different tunes. But it's got me really curious onto whether this is music or art or both or neither. Part of me wants to say that it's just putting a bunch of songs together, but then the other part of me thinks it's a harnessing of pop culture in a patchwork sorta way, like little pieces of radio woven together. But whatever the case it sure is damn entertaining!

Oh and did I mention, the best part is it's pay what you want, ala Radiohead. Click here and enjoy...

1 comment:

RYAN! said...

When I paid $00.00 I was asked "Why?" From the provided responses, I chose "I don't really like Girl Talk" but thought it was interesting another option was "I don't think sampled music has any value" or something to that effect.

I liked the first half of the first song, but then realized that I like Gimme Some Lovin' on its own even more.

I'm still listening, but I'm not convinced that these wholes are anything greater than any one of their parts.

Would be an excellent download for a cheerleading squad / dance team, though.