Monday, June 23, 2008

Re: Nope.



The story starts like this: I was ready for the bastard! The bastard not being the fool who made it, but rather the film itself. I've long since established my thoughts on the "filmmaker" and the various depths of confusion he so regularly engulfs himself in. To prep The Happening, I re-viewed both Unbreakable and The Village, for my memory's recollection of the two were minimal at best. Damn (for his sake), he almost had me. I've yet to see The Sixth Sense in my adult years, which would surely nail the coffin shut, and Unbreakable, well, she spoiled herself. One's second outing will allow such inevitable fault. Nice try, nonetheless. Everything Signs and on reeks of foundational flaw. A house built on sand sells an embarrassing view. He must be blind.

So on to The Blathering. Roger Ebert called it "thoughtful" because "it reminded him of some of the things that had been on his mind." Move over pillow-man (which is an oxymoronic term in itself) and read the fucking news. You wouldn't know "thoughtful" if it hit you up side the . . . well whatever, you just wouldn't know it if you deemed the world's dullest roller coaster ride "thoughtful." The film starts with 5 minutes of hyper-teen-shock, then gets straight to the intellect — a false Einstein "quote" about the food eater's dependency on the surviving abundance of bees, which in turn read like a bastardized hodge-podge of every made up what-if "fact" concerning the issue for AT LEAST 5 years now. So you know, sure, a good idea never dies, but why in the hell are we making up Einstein quotes — and regurgitating ones at that? Sure enough, pulling back from the chalk board we meet the film's (on-screen) star, Mr. Wahlberg, who appears to be teaching science to monkeys. Or maybe that's just as far as the film's scriptwriter made it in his own educational quest for intellect. The film then begins to steer its way through utter confusion with its ass in the air, slapping it with a horrifically sexual tone like a double-deuced, "who's bad" hoochied bimbo. The fool tends to flaunt it's naivety with a flying color or two, but here we get three or four. So, at least we know M Night is a liberal man — hardly an effective approach for such exasperating filmmaking.

I'm not sure I understood the comparisons to his supposed contemporaries. Are Will Ferrell movies really contemporaries of "thoughtful" filmmaking? Serious filmmaking? Personally I think that entire formula of Big Budgeted Blockbuster Farts For Dummies should be disbanded. It spoils a medium that a select few still overwhelmingly excel in carrying. Do you truly believe M Night does NOT see himself as a part of this distinguished class? Do you truly believe M Night deserves the weight you've lent him?

You mentioned the relationship between the content of the film itself and the social environment it was delivered to. This is by all means a significant point of interest, and perhaps essential to the code of responsibility filmmaking MUST uphold. This is also where I believe we truly disagree. For what reason would M Night, or any respectable "artist," step DOWN to speak to THESE people in such extremely elementary fashion? I think that's the point right there. I don't believe M Night has the perspective you've granted him. His insight is poorly researched and drastically UN-realized. It's token FIGHT the FIGHT for the FIGHT is worth FIGHTING for. It's a wide-eyed yearn for enlightenment, the fruits of a process M Night simply does not understand. His sheer lack of taste is insulting.

10 comments:

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

OH SNAP! Well, I take it Nathanael give this flick a two thumbs down. After all the chatter, now I really want to see it mainly for this reason:

"The film then begins to steer its way through utter confusion with its ass in the air, slapping it with a horrifically sexual tone like a double-deuced, "who's bad" hoochied bimbo."

JlikeBoB said...

Ahh...You've really made a meal out of it. It wasn't even funny? You didn't think that second scene with Wahlberg was funny, him being so serious, "so did you guys read this article in the NYT about the bees?" It was so over the top.

I do think he deserves the weight. He delivers imaginative suspense films by executing a "serious" story line in a "humorous" fashion. Whether or not he puts quotation marks around serious and humorous is up to him, but that's the way I see it. Do you think people took Tiny Tim seriously? No, but I bet lots of respectable people mention their respect for his act.

Compared to someone like Oliver Stone (who is way serious to the point of forget about it), I think M Night is tasteful. I'm sorry, but that's just where it's gone for me. I know they make different types of movies, but I think I like M Night's stuff not for the same reasons I like movies, but more for the fact that "he really goes there." I like going to see a movie that is utterly ridiculous in it's premise (this is where the Will Ferrell comparison comes in), and yet as a joke takes itself seriously. Ferrel movies and M Night are both utterly ridiculous, but Ferrel's are unimaginative. White basketball players with short shorts did exist in the 70's, they really don't need to be exaggerated for laughs, nor should sleazy anchorman. I already find it funny enough that a generation of humans lived and accepted that. On the other hand, will plants ever up and evolve to kill us?

I hope I'm not being mistaken for thinking his movies are good or better than, let's say Hitchkok, that's crazy talk. My whole point is that it's entertaining! And that's always the argument I get from people in regards to music and film in general, "I like to be entertained." What makes this one interesting is I think it entertains in nonconventional ways.

lucy lawless said...

Well it happened. I went to the see it last night for fuck's/blog's sake. Everytime it started to get good...started to get good...good...good Ah!! Once it was over, I evaluated the quickest possible scenario for suicide. I proceeded to start my car and attempted to run over myself. Though the tractor scene may be the funniest thing I have ever seen. "We are the world, we are the bees"

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

You guys are great.

JlikeBoB said...

'Tis always a pleasure

NathanaelMcDaniel said...

"My whole point is that it's entertaining! And that's always the argument I get from people in regards to music and film in general, "I like to be entertained." What makes this one interesting is I think it entertains in nonconventional ways."

- this was a great success in communication — a clause that respectfully removes my greater passion in the argument.

i still think "funny" is personal, a reaction that cannot be attributed to the deliverer's intentions. m night makes me laugh, and so does george bush (see matt's post above). i think i just despise popular culture.

NathanaelMcDaniel said...

"My whole point is that it's entertaining! And that's always the argument I get from people in regards to music and film in general, "I like to be entertained." What makes this one interesting is I think it entertains in nonconventional ways."

- this was a great success in communication — a clause that respectfully removes my greater passion in the argument.

i still think "funny" is personal, a reaction that cannot be attributed to the deliverer's intentions. m night makes me laugh, and so does george bush (see matt's post above). i think i just despise popular culture.

JlikeBoB said...

I feel ya there Nat, and of course, deep down I agree with most of what you've said about M Night, but all of hopes and theories rest on the assumption that M Night has a really interesting sense of humor.

What does truly concern me about his work is why people are so vehemently against it and not against other films (like aforementioned examples), when it's very easy to laugh at, more so with each passing film, this one being the most humorous and entertaining.

I usually don't see films or listen to music for entertainment purposes, sometimes films, but almost always I'm listening to music for artistic insight, so my usual passion is also out the window. I'm playing a purely Keanau Reeves role here, the Devil's Advocate.

NathanaelMcDaniel said...

that IS why i give the man a hard time, because i get the sense that he "really is going for it" . . . you know, that high tier of filmmaking, or as far as i'm concerned, ONLY tier of filmmaking. this is where i've always staked his failure. that goof-ball shit is just a product of the "entertainment crowd" wanting to go out on friday nights, or better yet, NEEDING to go out. or even better BETTER yet, being told they need to go out! dollars, hamburgers, television . . . to be entertained would be to involve myself with the insight an artist has invested in me AS the viewer. if people actually like this shit (the anchorman shit), how are you going to comment on the shit by talking like the shit to the people who just LOVE the shit? this is why they walk out cussing. if m night does indeed have this perspective than his strategy is counterproductive and wasteful.

how 'bout this one: the poor little child wants a cookie. instead of giving the child a cookie with a note attached, how bout telling him, "oh . . . well you must buy that cookie."

we're probably starting to say the same thing here. who knows, maybe i just don't like his face.

JlikeBoB said...

haha, the face comment.