Tuesday, June 10, 2008

McCain Vows to Veto Beer

It's the summer and I'm unemployed again, left to parlay my time between my love for alcohol, music, poetry, art, and my evil indulgence: politics.

Hearing McCain talk about the economy this morning almost made my lingering hangover feel like malignancy. Can anyone explain how someone can speak so brazenly about the state of our economy and in such simple terms that people eat it up like the dollar menu at McDonald's. If only the world were as simple as these asshole politicians make it out to be: blue, red, patriot, turncoat, liberal, conservative, white, black, wealthy, poor, and the middle (the silent majority).

Simplicity is a sin. And who is to blame for the current state of affairs in the world? The politicians are only partly to blame. It's the silent majority, the morons in the middle, who are responsible. I don't know shit about economics but I know enough not to be fooled by rhetoric, a term like "the death tax" provides a shortcut for thinking about the economy. For some, the logic goes as follows: Who wants to be taxed after death? No one. The death tax is bad. McCain says Obama is for the death tax. Obama is bad. I'm voting for McCain.

So here's who I blame, those people: those people who judge without rational, those people whose blind, thoughtless, automatic acquiescence and simpleminded patriotism allow politicians to get away with baseless wars and a trickle up economy. In the end the economy, world affairs, and real reform is way too complicated for these people because the reality of the situation requires some reading and some analytical thought. Call me an elitist, I don't want those people to vote who vote for the guy that makes them feel good or who they would like to sit down and have a beer with. I've had beers with a lot of guys at some less than respectable bars and have enjoyed my talks with the old, pickled drunks - but I don't want those guys to head the government.

I know one thing for sure. If McCain continues with his tyrannical campaign against beer I will have no choice but to get my fat ass off the couch, put down my beer, and vote for James K. Polk this year.

Because I am technologically inept, I couldn't figure out how to post the video of MCain's guffaw this morning. Just go to youtube and type in McCain vows to veto beer and you'll all see what I painstakingly witnessed this morning.

2 comments:

Bradley Glisson said...

I swear to God, I heard this exact conversation on the Diane Rehm show this morning on NPR on my way to work. I must say though, I feel like this year the American public seems to be getting more intelligent. Maybe it's the wall to wall coverage, or maybe it's the young folk being injected into the electorate, or maybe it's Barack Obama speaking in full sentences instead of sound bytes, but I really feel like we might actually vote with our hearts AND our heads this year.

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

I feel like this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xob2HyCbj50

is only the beginning of hilarious old man McCain gaffes. I'm sure he'll fall off a stage at least once.