Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Goddamn Do I Love This Country!


I have never ever been more proud of my country than I am right now. When Hillary, whom earned a ton of respect from me last night, came down that isle and motioned for Barack Obama to be the nominee, I damn near wept up. Here we are, the first major nation in the history of the world to have a minority as the presidential nominee of a major political party. I think back to when this all started, in front of the state capital where Lincoln spoke, where Barack announced his candidacy. And I think of all the Republican and Democratic debates that I watched with a high mind and a very close friend in Mr. Seger, I think of the night that Obama won in the snows of Iowa, and I think of the time my Mother and I got to see Barack Obama speak live in Chapel Hill. I think back to all those times and I still can't believe that this is real. And to think that tomorrow night, after the Goreacle speaks, and after Bon Jovi's accoustic set, there will be Barack Obama, in front of 80,000 people and millions of viewers around the world, speaking on the 45th anniversary of Dr King's "I Have a Dream". And after he finishes, and as the world looks on, there will be one of the greatest American poets of all time, Bruce Springsteen, serranading the world. Goddamn do I love this country!

No comments: