Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Happy Birthday, Andy!


Today, Andy Warhol (August 6, 1928 – February 22, 1987) would have been 80 years old. I've always appreciated his work for as long as I can remember, but what made me REALLY appreciate who he was came in the form of a four hour Ric Burn's documentry which aired on PBS's American Masters Series (I saw it on DVD, courtesy of ze Dizzle). I HIGHLY recommend you borrow/buy/rent this documentry ASAP.

The Nation ran this article on the documentry a few years ago, and I found this paragraph particularly amusing:

"Andy," she asks, "the Canadian government spokesman said that your art could not be described as original sculpture. Would you agree with that?" Warhol answers, "Yes." "Why do you agree?" "Well, because it's not original." "You have just then copied a common item?" "Yes." The interviewer gets exasperated. "Why have you bothered to do that? Why not create something new?" "Because it's easier to do." "Well, isn't this sort of a joke then that you're playing on the public?" "No. It gives me something to do."

7 comments:

JlikeBoB said...

I've definitely kept up on the Bob hates Andy...love 'em. Such a great combo of characters. I think they would melt if we lifted them apart, like tires spinning in place on asphalt. If taken together properly, they move in physical harmony.

NathanaelMcDaniel said...

the doc was graciously lent/given to me a while back. we could keep the gift train going if anyone would like to see it . . .

he also wrote a very funny book further confirming his idea.

Justin Baker said...

Matt, I feel like we had a similar path to The Andy. I too bought the doc and was immaculately converted into a fan (without intercourse that is).

If only there were college posters of his works I could hang them all throughout my house, each can with its own space.

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

Yeah, well the film was just brilliantly done. Really fit the definition of "cool" to a tee, from this old rockin' roller's perspective anyway.

I'm sure you can get some good posters online somewhere. Honestly I think the amount of REAL Warhol artwork out there is IMMENSE. I think he secretly made a screenprint for every girl and boy, but the Warhol Estate Inc. is keeping it all at Area 51 or something. "Top Secret: Must keep the price of OUR prints up." Creative Capitalism.

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

The Campbell Soup cans are in the MoMA in NYC, Baker, you should come see 'em. Last time I went, a few weeks ago, I had my date turn around and name as many flavors of soup as she could. As she's naming them off, it's hard to keep up, since there are rows and rows of cans to look at.

JlikeBoB said...

i'll take the doc

NathanaelMcDaniel said...

. . . coming you way.