Wednesday, January 30, 2008

So I've Gone Away, But Not Forever


At last one of the great lost treasures in music is going to be reissued, Dennis Wilson's "Pacific Ocean Blue". The only album ever released by the 'Ringo' of The Beach Boys it was finished just shortly before he tragically and ironically drowned in the Pacific Ocean. It comes out May 13th on CD and double vinyl after being almost impossible to find for 20 years. To quote a review of the album "Pacific Ocean Blue is a moody view of the SoCal landscape, and of Wilson's own interior life; or his struggle to have one." Recorded over a 7 year span through the cocaine and whiskey, through the years of befriending Charles Manson, the years of rehab and relapse, 3 divorces, and a failed fling with Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac, it almost serves as a diary to the final years of his life.

As Dennis so aptly put it on the day of his death "I'm lonesome. I'm lonesome all the time."

Forever

4 comments:

YaYaYaDonTKnowMe said...

I'm a little drunk tonight, ladies and gentleman, so that YouTube link kinda hit me hard. Very good song, good chord progression. I think I might check out this album, I ripped some Beach Boys off Nattical a few months ago and have been digging it since (Prabir and the Substitutes, anyone?). Second, the mention of Stamos was very funny.

RYAN! said...

I close my eyes and see Rebecca Donaldson tossing her hair in soft-focus slow-motion. Truly beautiful.

Anonymous said...

WAKE UP UNCLE JESSE!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=f4dOxObAQqw

JlikeBoB said...

I'll stand for the Beach Boys.